Eminem’s one of the last big global rap superstars it seems, especially in an era where most of the world’s live music business has been on pause for almost a year. The superstar rapper has done some of the world’s biggest arenas on world tours but it’s understandable if at some point you want to slow down. 50 Cent is still salty about a tour that never was that would have featured Slim Shady.
Back in April 2020, it had been reported that Eminem had been the victim of a home invasion by a fan named Matthew David Hughes, a 26-year old who broke into Em’s Detroit home. He had forced himself into the house via the kitchen, breaking the window with a rock. While the alarm went off, Eminem’s security didn’t – and Eminem came face to face with the intruder.
Appearing recently in court, the case has now gotten some updates on Hughes’ charges and what happened further on the night that he broke into Eminem’s home – and the court reporting proved chilling, laying out that the intruder possibly wanted more than an autograph.
A reporter live-tweeted from the courtroom as the detectives filled in further details on the case. Detectives told the record that they were told by Eminem that “Matthew Hughes told him he was there to [harm] him.”
Hughes is still facing felony charges, presumably the same that he was arrested for — first-degree home invasion and malicious destruction of a building.
Court. Eminem news. “Mr. Mathers (Eminem)— Nick Perreault (@NickPtv) September 9, 2020
said Matthew Hughes told him he was there to kill him.” Detective said that’s what Eminem told him after his home was broken into in April. Hughes pictured faces felony charges. Case now heads to Macomb County Circuit court September 28. pic.twitter.com/k5il3IGQjw
Despite this harrowing event, Em also celebrated the 20th anniversary of his The Marshall Mathers LP, and it was one of the rare moments that he got online and went live, chatting with fans about the impact of his debut LP and sharing some more personal details about his own life and pop culture preferences.
During the live-chat, Em was asked so many different questions from fans, including his favorite project out right now. He ended up giving some major love to his Music to Be Murdered By collaborator Young M.A, naming her new Red Flu project his most-played at the moment. When it came time to drop gems on his most underrated rapper of all-time, he gave a major co-sign to none other than Detroit native KXNG Crooked. He also said that his dream collaboration would be Andre 3000.
With such a long career and all the highs and lows with it, Eminem sitting out a tour for personal and family reasons doesn’t seem that controversial but with a rapper like 50 Cent who seems to be focused on money, it becomes just that.
50 Cent was at one time trying to put together a super-tour, featuring the heavyweights of hip-hop like himself, Eminem, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre. It would have no doubt been a monstrous box-office hit around the world, featuring a few the pinnacles of the modern day rap scene.
Alas, the tour never happened, and 50 Cent told radio DJ Big Boy on his Big Boy’s The Neighborhood morning show that the fault laid at Eminem’s feet, who decided to leave a lot of money on the table for something he considered more important.
“You do not believe how much money we would’ve made. And Em was like—there was so many dates at the time that we laid it out—that he was like, ‘I just don’t want to go on tour and come back and Hailie’s grown.'”
Of course, Big Boy asked 50 Cent exactly how much money the quartet were leaving on the table if they didn’t embark on this ambitious outing. 50 Cent the routing would have ensured that “when you come back, everyone has the money that no one has to answer the phone,” but also that without Eminem, the amount they are walking away from was, “collectively, over $100 million.”
See the interview below.